Mildly Hurtful Sarcasm

Meaningless ranting, just like everybody else.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Postcards from New York I

Armed with a slightly better than point-and-shoot camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2, but that's another blog) and a 2Gb flash card, I thought I played photographer a bit. I mean, it's New York city. Random snapshooting was supposed to yield a few good pieces, right? Well, it's really not that simple. You also need a tripod, be at the right place at the right time, and lots of patience. We averaged 1Gb a day (with some videos) but still there's only this few I can pick out. So here we go, your comments are welcomed.

First off I thought I lump together a NY lamp post, the Fifth Ave sign and the Empire State building, but the 16:9 aspect ratio (which I really hate to use with pictures, but, that would be another story) makes it look awkward.


With skyscapers in mind, I went for the Chrysler building. I thought its broken up reflection would make a me-and-my-evil-twin kind of deal, but that didn't really work out the way I wanted.


So I paired it up with a US flag. There's something with the red white and blue in New York after 9/11. But I couldn't get the two to move close enough...


There were plenty of flag poles in the streets, and I experiemented with alot of them. Well, this one's all wrinkle up no matter how long I waited, just like my laundry.

This one's nice and straight up but the background is so uninspiring.


I got a very patriotic New York Stock Exchange, but the entrance was under construstion (and the wide aspect ration cut off the top!)


Central Station would be the most acceptable one I'd say.


It's not like I know photography but i just feel that the pictures lack something. And I think I know what...

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You need a bigger DSLR so that it's easier to play around with depth of field. Then you can highlight your subject (the US flag) by putting it in focus, and the background out of focus, then you don't care too much on how good looking is the background. To create strong depth of field effect, use a tele lens 200+ and use a small aperture number (bigger hole).

Patrick

 

Post a Comment

<< Home