Mildly Hurtful Sarcasm

Meaningless ranting, just like everybody else.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Supply of inconvenient truths about Linux is abundant

Medical emergency. Mr Michael J Jordan's head is stuck in his ass. How can I not blog something about this nonsense.

Have to learn command line:
I have a Fedora installation at work. A few months ago I plugged in my USB key, I couldn't find any GUI to reformat it, and the only instruction I found on Google was command lines. Then a few weeks later I downloaded an application in rpm format. I double clicked it, some windows popped up and disappeared. I couldn't find where to start the application after the install (turned out I have to use command line to run a shell program to configure it first). No need to learn command line? Enough said.

Difficult installation:
With the internet age borned a new generation of technically computer literate people. They don't write code, they don't have a technical degree, but they put together computers and install OSes. They may not be grandmas, but that's not the point. The point is many people do install OSes and is Linux is not easy to install and requires alot of attention during the process. I've a technical degree, work at a technology company, so I count myself technical competent, but I still find Linux not easy to install; many people with the same background as me agree.

Hardware compatibility:
It's true that common hardware are supported well. But many people have a piece or two of odd hardwares that don't run on Linux. Heck! Think about your beloved iPod, sure it works on Linux, if you are willing to give up the iTunes experience (which is why I use an iPod rather than other mp3 devices). And if your so called "average user" don't install OS, good luck to them figuring out how to download and install software for their music players.

You really can install and run any program you want on Windows:
I download from sourceforge.net, all the windows ones work right off, no virus no spyware no OS reinstall. Where have you been Mr. Jordan? I'd like to have the same experience in Linux, without having me to download and install gcc, which requires me to download and install openssl, which requires me to download several hundred other things.

I am not a slave of Microsoft:
Not everybody who bashes Linux is a Redmond follower. Linux is a free product so it is OK to be not as good as Windows. But saying Microsoft is spreading inaccurate information about Linux, instead of taking in the criticism with an open mind and perhaps finding ways to improve it if you are so passionate about it is downright childish.

Linux is not ready for commoners. You can't expect users to rely primarily on free software out there which are difficult to install (if they even install). But then we all knew that already, we all know Mr. Jordan is just a propagandist who is urgently in need of some Metamucil.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home