Mildly Hurtful Sarcasm

Meaningless ranting, just like everybody else.

Friday, April 27, 2007

The idiocy of energy efficient appliance rebate

Today I got in the mail a rebate book from PG&E, the local utility company - money back for purchasing energy efficient appliances, such as room air conditioners. According to the data provided on the coupon, an energy star room air conditioner can save up to $18/yr or up to 57 lbs of CO2 per year. That sounds very good. And consider I live in an area where summer day can rise over 100oF, and that a central air conditioner in an average house can easily run you $150-$200 extra in the utility bill, so that's, based on the calculation above, at least 475lbs of CO2 per year that I have not contributed by not having an air conditioner, sweating year over year! Now where is my rebate?! I am upset! That while I am not producing greenhouse gas, I am penalized (where do you think the funds come from?). Just like tax breaks for mortgage payments - the haves nowadays take out a mortgage because of the write off, even when they have the money to buy out the property outright, and invest elsewhere to make more money, leaving the havenots who can't afford a house to make up the budget gap.

Disgusting, what else can I say.

So much for saving the earth, my utility company is providing a $50 incentive for me to buy an air conditioner that I don't have that is not contributing to global warming.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to convert your negative thinking into positive thinking and you will be less grumpy and feel happier.

It's basically a discount for choosing a less environmentally-damaging product, if you must use it. Same as cars, the Canadian government is offering car buyer rebates for choosing less environmentally hostile cars.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger 1plaintext said...

I know their intention, but it's not fair. For example, they have another program: cut 10% energy usage compared with same period last year, and you get another 10% off your bill; but I couldn't have done that cause I have always been conserving - meaning they are just not rewarding the people who are actually conserving - And unlike incentives on hybrid cars (carpool lane privilege, $ rebate etc), an A/C runs just around $200, so a $50 off is a credible incentive for people to buy the A/C that they wouldn't otherwise; it is not unusual for people to have an A/C in this area.

Besides, I need something to channel my anger these days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home