Mildly Hurtful Sarcasm

Meaningless ranting, just like everybody else.

Friday, November 21, 2008

Microsoft spill resistant keyboard I

At work, I use this Microsoft comfort curve keyboard 2000 with spill resistant design. It doesn't have the greatest tactile feel but I like it because I use the cordless version of it (wireless desktop 3000) at home so I'm used to the feel and positions of keys.

Every keyboard gets dirty over time; I am talking about hair, dirt, whatever, that fell into the gaps between keys and get stuck there forever. You can see the dirt, but you can't get to it and you can't shake them all out. Gross.

Yesterday I decided to take the keyboard apart to see if I can at least wipe it alittle, and discovered what a clever design this device has. First of all, once detached, the face board has no electronic component attached to it whatsoever.



Flip it over, it reveals that the spring action of the keys is provided by a rubber sheet underneath it, the keys are all just snapped onto an enclosure, which collects and prevents any liquid from spilling onto the sensor board underneath it.



I don't care about spills but the good news is, that means all the dirt collected are confined to the enclosure... so I could just run it under the tap and let the water wash away all the who knows what in there.

I let it dry, put it back together. Now it is 100% clean. There is some wear, but otherwise it's like new.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:32 AM, Blogger Anthony ng said...

you really got nothing else to do.....

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

外形不吸引!哈哈哈哈

 

Post a Comment

<< Home